STUDY FOR ALL WEBSITE

Study For All is a educational website. study website dedicated to helping people reach their educational goals. This is a great blog that encourages you to learn more information about education . Through the websites you will get all shorts of advice here to stay stay motivated. You will get all kind of information about study tips.

10 essential strategies for effective classroom management


        
10 essential strategies for effective classroom management

 Classroom management is, in my opinion, the most important element to master as a teacher.Here I share with you 10 tips for good classroom management.



Today's new teachers are entering an education system that promotes exchange, collaboration and flexible accommodation. Without having a solid classroom management at first sight, these initiatives which are supposed to enrich the learning environment will come to harm it. Hence the importance of establishing clear routines and rules with your students from the start of the year.

My career so far has been in high school with tweens aged 12 and 13. I have developed these strategies over the years (I have been teaching for more than ten years), some coming from my head, others from books, trainings or my colleagues. The opinions in the text are my own and will not necessarily suit everyone's teaching style or academic values. Use what will be useful to you. My clientele will also come to color the strategies that I will present to you. It will therefore be necessary for you to adapt certain tips according to the age group you are teaching.


Types of classroom management:



#1. Build a good relationship with your students:


Whether it's greeting them at the door when they enter your classroom, engaging with their interests, or letting them personalize their workspace, you're showing your students that they're important and respected. I like to ask students to decorate my bulletin board at the beginning of the year and I also post pictures of my groups there. They feel at home in my room. Starting class by welcoming themGood morning! Good afternoon! ) and asking them if they're okay creates a caring environment. A student who feels welcomed, listened to and respected will be more motivated to respect your way of functioning and your rules of life.

#2. Walk the class:


We were taught this strategy in training when I started in 2007. And how precious it is! Proximity solves several discipline problems. They will turn their head or even their whole body to follow you with their eyes. During work time at headquarters (alone or in a team), circulating between the desks allows you to see if the students are on task and will ensure that the most talkative will force themselves to at least seem to be working when you will come close. If a student is disturbing, approaching him or standing next to his chair to give your instructions will often be enough to make him stop... without you even having said his name.

#3. Insist on the right to speak:






When you develop your rules of life at the beginning of the year, be sure to address the right to speak.If a student chooses to speak when he does not have the right to speak, I stop, I look at him and I ask him the following question: Who has the right to speak? Usually that's enough to keep him quiet.

I also use the non-verbal to demonstrate to a student that he speaks without having the right to speak. Students like to ask questions without raising their hands. If a student speaks to me without having raised their hand, I look at them, without saying anything, and I raise my hand (to indicate to them that they should raise their hand before speaking). I then turn my attention to another student who has their hand raised, finally returning to the first student if they have understood that they should raise their hand.

A teacher during my first teaching internship had shown me the importance of not responding to free comments from students (if a student speaks without raising their hand or at an inappropriate moment). I had noticed how often I responded to students who had no right to speak, especially those who commented or asked questions about the work. It only confirmed to others that the right to speak was not important and that everyone could speak whenever they wanted. 


#4. Limit movement:


I have a clear rule in class: you remain seated in your place during instructions and during the teaching capsules. If a student needs to stand during this time, they should raise their hand and ask permission. During working hours at headquarters, I allow students to get up to blow their noses, sharpen their pencils, fetch a resource or ask me a question.

On the other hand, in a more turbulent group or during a more hectic day, my rule changes a little and the students must ask permission to circulate even during these moments. If the teacher walks the class, they can easily answer students' questions without them having to find them, removing the need to get up.

With my tweens, a classroom can easily become a zoo if we don't restrict travel. A crowd in front of the sharpener, a choir of noses blowing their noses near the trash can, a battle of textbooks near the shelves, a computer dropped on the floor... Keep in mind that I teach 60-minute lessons after which my students have 7 minutes break to socialize and get to their next class. I still allow them to circulate during transitions (between work), sometimes a small group at a time depending on the students. Plus, if I feel my students are more restless than the norm one day, I put on a good song and they can get up, stretch, and (for the brave) dance.


Best classroom management style


5 Be


consistent The student must understand the rules ofRefer to them often (post them!). He must also understand what consequence is attached to his bad choices. Talk about it and be consistent. Each bad choice has its consequence and this is applied consistently, regardless of the student, each time it occurs .

It takes a great deal of spotlight and energy on your part, particularly toward the beginning of the year, however everything will work out just fine once your homeroom the executives is laid out. You will compliment yourself in February when your understudies are still deliberate and aware.

Instead of always punishing students for bad choices, reward them for good deeds . I use  a reinforcement system since 2008 which works wonderfully with my students. You know, the tougher they are, the more positive reinforcement (and love) they need.



#6. Communicate with parents:


Open communication between school and home is essential. Establish a first contact as early as possible, whether at an information evening or in a welcome letterCommunicate with them when there is a problem or when you have concerns. In my opinion, a parent should be informed if his child is disrespectful in class or if he is struggling to complete his work. Do you know what my thing is with difficult students? I communicate with the parents on a regular basis, making an effort to highlight the successes.  By congratulating him and sending positive emails to his parents when they had a good day, I had become his best ally. Try it, you will see the difference!


#7. Give clear instructions:


Before putting the students to the task, make sure that your instructions are clear. Write them on the board (number them, it's even better). Display the resources they can use for more information on screen or with a magnet on the board. They will be able to find them more easily in their schoolbag. If you forgot to give an instruction and want to interrupt their working time, make sure you have silence and everyone's attention before speaking. Otherwise your words risk being understood by only a few.

Instead of raising my voice or turning off the lights when I want their attention once they're working as a team, I use my phrase of silence: If you can hear me, raise your hand. I repeat it two or three times and usually have everyone's attention. However, I sometimes have to add the following sentence: If you have your hand up, keep your mouth shut .


#8. Use a Timer:


To be engaged and stay on task, a student needs to know the following two things:

1. What should I do?
2. How long do I have to do this?


Once your instructions have been given and written on the board, display a timer on the screen or use an hourglass to limit the working time. This stuff is fantastic during teamwork. Students are more likely to have a final product if given a time constraint. Without constraint, they are likely to socialize and your work, as interesting as it is, will take a back seat.

I sometimes measure working time in songs instead of minutes:  You have two songs to correct your dictation .Then again, with my gatherings more upset or all the more quickly flustered, I try not to do it time after time
.



9. Arrange the classroom according to your teaching style and your needs:


A new teacher, in my opinion, should first establish a solid classroom management before venturing into flexible arrangement. There's nothing wrong with  placing desks in a more traditional way while you get to know your students. Desks stuck together in pairs or even placed in rows will help students avoid distractions, pay more attention during instructions and stay focused during individual tasksThe layout of the class does not prevent the educational activities that may take place there.

A good classroom management


Managing the classroom when our students are seated in groups of four, or when not all of them have a desk, is a big challenge, even for experienced teachers. Think about it. Perhaps opt for a more flexible arrangement after the Christmas break when students better understand your standards of operation or during special events during the year. To each his own style. Find out yours before you venture into big projects.


It is also a good idea to assign seats . However, a social tween should understand that choosing their workspace is a privilege. The primary purpose of the classroom is learning. It is the teacher's role to choose a class plan  that will facilitate concentration and promote student learning. Sitting with your friend is probably not the best choice. By having places assigned, you will also ensure better follow-up with your substitutes during an absence. You can also use the choice of place as a reward during the year (special days, end of month, team activities, etc.).


10. Plan the beginning and end of lessons:


When a student enters my class, he knows what he will be doing during the period thanks to the menu of the day . He also knows what to do at the second of the bell I since I write an instruction on the board under a big image of a bell. This instruction is quite simple, asking the students to take out a sheet, to get their computer or even to continue a work already started. We can also display relay activities or puzzles that they can complete in a notebook for this purpose or on cards. Choose what suits you best. One thing is certain, this practice ensures that the lesson begins on its own, without you having to ask your students to be quiet. To reinforce this beginning of class routine, I use my reward system. Students get used to it during the first weeks of school.


Also have activities for your students when they finish a job, otherwise some will be happy to disturb the others. I have an activity book (crosswords, sudoku, drawing, puzzles, etc.), magazines and mini-novels for this purpose. I also encourage students to make progress in their homework or to do personal reading. I often write the end-of-course activity on the board, following my assignment instructions. This strategy is particularly important during an evaluation, to ensure that the fastest are occupied and quiet until the end of the allotted time.

Post a Comment

0 Comments